Mushrooms are one of the healthiest and tastiest dishes for humans. People are often crazy about the dish and want it in various ways. There are so many dishes made with mushrooms. The fungus is tasty and nutritious as it provides vitamin B, vitamin C, iron, magnesium, etc. The edible mushrooms are safe for humans. But are they equally beneficial and safe for pets like bearded dragons? Can bearded dragons eat mushrooms?
If you have a bearded dragon and are thinking of serving mushrooms to them, be clear about its safety. Bearded dragons have more sensitive health than humans, so you must be sure about their safe diet.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mushrooms?
No, a bearded dragon should never eat mushrooms to feed mushrooms to your beardie. Mushrooms are a flower of a fungus, and fungus is always harmful to beardies. Not a small amount of mushroom is safe for beardies, and it causes mild issues to severe consequences, even death.
Mushrooms contain several nutritious elements, but they are unsafe for bearded dragons. Because of the high amount of phosphorus and presence of Oxalate, beardies get severely harmed by the fungus.
3 Risks of Feeding Mushrooms to Bearded Dragons
1: Excessive Phosphorus Prevents Calcium Absorption
Mushrooms have numerous vitamins and minerals that help the human body. But for the beardies, it will not work. As the fungus food contains an excessive amount of phosphorus, it harms the bearded dragons severely. The ratio of calcium and phosphorus in mushrooms is nearly 1:16. It needs 2:1 or an equal ratio for a good output.
Excessive phosphorus acts as an obstacle in the absorption of calcium to beardies. Also, the existing calcium becomes useless by that extra phosphorus. The lack of calcium in beardie’s body leads them to Metabolic Bone Disease. The disease causes several health issues like fragile bone, unhealthy skeletal, etc.
Veggies like kale and lettuce have a good amount of calcium and are safe for your beardie. You can feed the vegetables to your pet.
2: Oxalates Cause Kidney Stone & Other Issues
Mushrooms contain a good amount of Oxalates that harm beardies. Oxalate is a crystalline substance present in the human body, and it is an organic compound in plants, animals, microorganisms, etc.
Oxalates work through binding with the minerals like Calcium. Oxalate binds with the existing calcium in beardies and causes kidney stones.
Also, the element prevents other beneficial and necessary nutrients from being absorbed in the body, and it causes other vitamins and nutrients deficiency in beardies.
Notably, mushrooms could lead beardies even to death due to their poisonous behavior.
3: The Rubbery Texture Causes Choking Hazard
Mushrooms are quite rubbery, which is not suitable for your little dragon, and people are often fans of the texture. But bearded dragons cannot swallow the food and might get choked while eating mushrooms, which could cause other severe consequences.
Although, the adverse effects of higher phosphorus and oxalates are enough to avoid the food from your beardie. Notably, alfalfa sprouts are one of the favorite veggies of beardies, and you can add them to their diet.
What to Do If Your Bearded Dragon Eats a Mushroom?
If you were unaware of the harmful consequences and accidentally fed mushrooms to your beardie or your pet ate them accidentally, then don’t worry. You must keep calm first, and here we are to help you. Just follow the instructions.
Observe the Symptoms
It is fine if you know about the amount your beardie has consumed. But if you do not know, keep an eye on him. Mild symptoms and excessive symptoms need different steps for handling the situation.
When to Call the Vet?
If your pet looks a bit more unusual than normal and you can handle the situation, then just let them be cured themselves. But if the symptoms are severe or your pet suffers too much, then before getting late, call the veterinarian. The vet will guide you on what to do and provide your pet with the perfect treatment.
Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning
There are mainly two types of Mushroom Poisoning Symptoms based on the consumption quantity. Mild symptoms occur when beardies consume a small amount and get poisoned slightly.
On the other hand, if your pet eats excessive mushrooms, it would be severe, and at that time, severe symptoms occur.
- An upset stomach leads your pet to an inactive day.
- Diarrhea causes fatigue, and your pet gets tired the whole day.
- Vomiting is another mild symptom of mushroom poisoning.
- Bleeding could occur with beardie’s stool after getting severe diarrhea.
- Lethargy is another severe symptom when beardies consume mushrooms.
- Salivating occurs when any severe disease gets into the body. It occurs after taking poisonous food, mushrooms.
- Also, Seizures, Tremors, etc., are other major symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning.
Other Preferred Foods for Bearded Dragons
- Turnip Greens
- Sweet Potatoes
- Bok Choy
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Darkling Beetles
- Calci Worms
- Wax Worms
- Rolly Pollies
- Mealworm Beetles
- Dragon Fruit
- Green Beans
So, the answer to the question, can bearded dragons eat mushrooms? is a big NO. You should always remember its adverse effects and avoid the food. There are numerous options of foods for beardies. Feed them as per their requirements and help them get a healthy life.
Call the vet and provide the proper treatment if they accidentally consume harmful food. Pets also need routine checkups for a long-lasting healthy life. After all, you are your pet’s parent and responsible for caring for them.
Can baby bearded dragons eat mushrooms?
No, baby bearded dragons cannot eat mushrooms. As mature bearded dragons are harmed severely after consuming the food, baby beardies could have more severe effects.
Are mushrooms bad for bearded dragons?
Yes, mushrooms are poisonous for bearded dragons, and you should always avoid the food from your beardie’s diet.
Can bearded dragons eat mushrooms sometimes?
No, the bearded dragon should never eat mushrooms due to high phosphorus and Oxalate.